Friday, May 09, 2008

Bullfrogs and Butterflies...

Did anyone else have that record growing up? Yes, I said record! :) It was part of the Music Machine series! I really loved all of those songs!!
Whenever I hear the word butterfly that's what I think of.

Grandma sent the kids this butterfly garden kit. We all loved it. It was amazing watching the tiny caterpillars double in size every day for several days and then form into crysalids. Even more amazing to watch all ten of them hatch and to hold them in our hands before releasing them. The butterfly truly is a miracle and the perfect metaphor to our new birth in Christ! Isn't it so amazing that God loves us so much to give us something so beautiful to show us what he is creating us to be! His love never ceases to amaze me!!

Now...be ready for photo overload. And, truthfully, these aren't technically correct or well thought out, but they remind me of this really cool experience and I will cherish them!


It was hard to get a good picture of the caterpillars in the tiny cups. This is the best I could do. This is right before the caterpillar wraps his cacoon...


Now it's time to put the crysalids into the butterfly habitat...


And the waiting begins...




Our first little guy...


Squeezing sugar water over the flowers for their nectar...


They loved the orange slices even more...



Release day...


I think Matt enjoyed it as much or more than the kids...


Can you see her studying every detail...


What a cool feeling. They could have flown right away but most of them hung out on our hands for a while...



Even with a two-year-old blowing on them...(wonder what he was thinking)

7 comments:

--sme said...

What a neat, neat chronical of this activity!

Rheagan Leatherwood said...

Cindy,

I just love butterflies. These are so cute. I want some.

Carrie Postma said...

I totally had those albums growing up! infact, I have bought them for my kids and now they are listening to the same songs. Remember "have patience. have patience, don't be in such a hurry..." LOL! Here is the link to where you can get them if ya want...
http://www.agapelandmusic.com/bullfrogs_and_butterflies_CD.html

Anonymous said...

These are so neat! What a great thing to share as a family. Love it.

pakosta said...

wow! where did grandma buy that?! i want it for next year!! my girls have gotten to do this at school which i think is really cooL! these photos are absolutely breath taking!!!!!! i love each and every one!
tara

Debbi said...

We did the butterfly garden a few summers ago, but I should do it again as Kate was really little - terrific photos of the stages of this and your kids participation!

Sharon said...

That's really cool. I don't do bugs and such but I glad that you did.